Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Bible Cards!



Anyone who knows me well is aware of my absolute obsession with baseball cards, especially  those featuring the New York Mets.  In order to redeem my collection (at least in my own imagination), I decided to make a special site for what I have called "Bible Cards," though they are actually more properly called "Sunday School Lesson Cards," I'd think.  But "Bible Cards" sounds more like "baseball cards," and that carried the day for me.

In or around 1889 the first of these collectible lesson cards began appearing, and various publishers continued to produce them for more than fifty years.  I gathered a few of them from each decade, and created a website to display them.  I don't necessarily agree with the theology presented on the backs of the cards, but I decided to put my biases on the shelf in this case, and just let the cards speak for themselves.  Every card in my collection is displayed, front and back, on the Bible Cards website.

Please visit the site and take a look around.  Even though it seems to be an awful lot of pictures of guys in sandals and robes, you may find something there to stir your faith.  At the very least, it's a glimpse into the world of our grandparents, great-grandparents, and ancestors further back in history.

Click here to visit the Bible Cards online site.




No comments:

Post a Comment